Thursday, March 24, 2011

A New Name & A New Way of Thinking

Last night as I started to post this entry, a thunderstorm came through with ferociousness.  There was hail and sleet and lots of electricity zipping around.  My husband came down and asked me to shut down my computer in case we lost power.  I did it but wondered, "Was God trying to show me something else before I made an entry?"  Then this morning during Bible study with our family, He did.
"Man-Yu Chen, you shall be called Peter, and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail."
I pray this every morning over Peter.  I was asking God one day about how He would build His church on my son?  Peter, the apostle, was one thing but how did this scripture apply to our little boy with DS?  God, through this whole process, has been broadening my human horizons and revealing prejudices with truth and light.  The same grace that saved me was about the saving of Peter.  What is it Lord?  What?

(Back Story 1)  We wanted to call Eliot, Eliot Peter Inglin.  We were convinced that was how it would go.  Eliot, spelled like my husband's favorite poet T.S.Eliot, was our first choice for a boy's name when I was pregnant with our first child Emily.   Eliot's mother named him Javier (Xavier) which meant "bright splendid new home".  We had to keep that.  And what about Thomas?  That was a family name from Thom's heritage.  We came up with Eliot Javier Tomas Inglin.  We were so thrilled.  But what about Peter?  Peter was my first choice for a boy's name, so HEY!, did that mean we were going to adopt another boy? Sure did!

So why couldn't God use Peter to do great things for Him?  With men things are impossible, but with God all things are possible.  Why not?  I wanted an answer.  God gave me a picture something like this.
"Peter was playing with the other children in children's ministry at our church.  Eliot, his big brother, and all his friends had invited Peter to participate in something unworthy of godly children.  Peter softly and quietly rose up and walked over to his brother.  He spoke quietly to Eliot reminding Eliot of his real purpose on this earth.  This gave Eliot boldness to then talk to the others and to redirect the activity in question.  Peter patted Eliot on the back and said, "that pleases God Eliot, and that makes me happy!"  Eliot hugged Peter and the other kids rallied around Peter patting him on the back.  The kids went on to do something worthy of praise."
God showed me again that my view was too narrow.  No, Peter probably won't be a major force in the broader picture or Christendom, but he would be an anchor to those around him, including his brother Eliot.  Peter would evoke a desire in others around him to want to be better.  They would not want to disappoint him and the One who created them.  The cool thing to me was that the inclusion of Peter was because of God.  God had given him that place to fill and only Peter could fill it.  My heart soared.  Tears filled my eyes.  God's ways are truly higher than mine.

(Back Story 2)  Soon after we were into the process of adopting Peter, you know, home study and all that entails, my husband took me out on a date.  It was in a little town in Pennsylvania off the beaten track.  Brooks Williams, one of our favorite Singer/Songwriters was performing and I was thrilled.  While we waited for the show to begin, I was asking God if Peter would be able to receive and understand the Gospel; to be saved.  As we waited for the show to begin a man, woman and adult DS man walked in and sat in front of us.  There was a lot of love between them.  The concert began but I couldn't take my eyes off of that family.  God was answering my question - I just knew it.  A break came and the woman walked in front of me to get a beverage.  I asked her if she wouldn't mind me asking a personal question.  I explained that we were adopting a child with DS and asked her about her son.  As it turned out, his name was John and he was her brother-in-law.  She beamed, and told me all about him.  John came over and introduced himself to me.  I was overcome by his gentle manner and direct gaze.  He told me that he loved Jesus, would only read the Bible and quoted all of Psalm 33 from memory.  He shared that he played the piano on the worship team in his church and sang a song to me.  Then he was done.  Got up, found his brother and hugged him and eagerly anticipated the next set.  God really likes to answer prayers!

God has also used this precious one to illustrate the gospel to me.  He showed me Peter in the orphanage with his creature needs being met.  He has food, drink, clothing and interactions with care givers.  He does not know that a family is waiting for him, desiring to make him apart of their lives.  He doesn't know that soon, by God's grace, life for him will include a forever family, a new name, a new life, a future in Christ and hope.  Because of God's plan for Peter, he will never face a life that will lead to death.  Then God tied that together with my life prior to salvation.  I didn't know how much I needed to be a part of His family.  My earthly needs were met yet my soul was dead.  I didn't see that only eternal death was up ahead for me if I wasn't adopted, .  I only saw what was right in front of me.  Praise God, He did not leave me there.  He chose me with all my disabilities and He is choosing Peter, with his disabilities to be apart of the bigger story.  The story of salvation.

My friend Jim Daniels has a theory about DS folks.  One night recently he tearfully shared his thoughts with me and Thom.  He thinks that people with DS here on this earth might be delayed and different but because of their child-likeness Jim thinks they will be the ones teaching in heaven; that when we look in their faces here on this earth, we should see the face of God.  Again, more tears.

(Back Story 3) When we realized we were going to adopt this little lamb we lined ourselves up with a DS support group that meets right around the corner from us.  We asked the leader, Donna Wolf, if it would be alright for us to just come out even though we didn't have our child yet.  We were warmly welcomed by this incredible group of people.  We are so grateful.  They have openly shared their hearts and stories with us, pointed us to good resources, invited us to their Christmas party and let us hang out with them.  Every time we meet, I encounter ordinary heroes doing extraordinary things.  Every time I walk away I am thankful for the opportunity to learn from them and to be called their friends.

How has all this changed my thinking?  Peter will come home and receive a forever family and all that includes.  We, on the other hand, will be learning a whole new way to live that will permeate all other parts of us.  We are gaining, if you will, an extra chromosome that will make every normal way of living different.  And God will be in it all.  The heavens cannot contain our God and I know that with every new experience with Peter and his DS we will find God showing us something else that is AWESOME about Himself.  Joy these days seems to be splashing out.

Man-yu has received a new name "Peter" and we have been blessed with the beginning of new ways of thinking.  Thank you God.

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post Jill! I love how you were able to string so many of the separate thoughts you've shared over the past weeks/months together in it, and I especially love the thought that the adoption is most about your family (and all the rest of us who call you brothers and sisters in Christ) seeing the awesomeness of God. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete